Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Nirvana- Live and Loud 1994




Anything I try to say about this will in no way give it justice. This in my opinion, is the best live set that documents this band. I remember staying up late to watch this when it aired. I was in lutheran grade school, and we had a debate where Nirvana was brought up and it had me really interested in what all the talk was about. I didn't quite get it when I was watching it, ( I was 10 years old ) but I remember being glued to the TV cause I had never seen anything like it. Funny thing is, even 14 years later I Still really haven't seen anything like it. The story goes that Pearl Jam was supposed to split the show with Nirvana, but they bailed last minute and Nirvana gladly stepped up to take the whole show. I wish pearl jam would stop making music, but thats another story.

I owe everything to this band. I am the kind of nerd who researches bands influences and all that stuff. Me and Rich rode bikes to Tunes on the boardwalk in the 8th grade to buy My Bloody Valentine cause Billy Corgan said Siamese Dream was his homage to that band. I got into Joy Division cause of the Nine inch Nails cover on the crow soundtrack. Nirvana is directly what got me into punk and hardcore, and most everyone else my age as well. The mid-nineties were a great time to be discovering it too, so we lucked out.

Just the opening with Pat Smears unmatched attitude says it all. Right before he tosses the cigarette and they go into the riff, that imagery has stayed with me since I first saw this in 1994. I always wanted Jumpercable to open future sets with the Radio Friendly Unit Shifter intro Riff, it would rule. I know this post seems like another one where I try to seem awesome. I am awesome, and so is this video. eeeeeeeeeeeyyyyaah. seriously though, video rules.

Enjoy this, all the parts are on youtube, it really is amazing...

No comments: